So tonight I wanted to use my strawberry that were loosing their freshness and felt like doing an easy vanilla sponge cake and incorporate the strawberries.
2 cups sugar
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk (I actually used almond milk as I no longer has cow milk)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 pack of fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Butter your regular round tart oven-safe dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened – about one minute.
- Add sifted flour, milk, oil, baking powder and vanilla essence, and beat for another minute – just until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don’t overbeat. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan(s).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the centre of the layer comes out clean. Adapt the time of course to your oven.
- You can serve plane or you can top it with an icing (cream cheese or simple icing sugar).